Longer, stronger cotton fiber developed to fend off competition from synthetic ones
Washington: An international collaboration with strong Aggie ties has figured out how to make a longer cotton fiber.
A Texas A and M University biologist believes that this could potentially have a multi-billion-dollar impact on the global cotton industry and help cotton farmers fend off increasing competition from synthetic fibers.
The research is funded primarily by the US Department of Agriculture Office of International Research Programs.
"This technology allows improvement of fiber quality in upland cotton, which is widely grown everywhere," Alan Pepper, an associate professor in the Texas A and M Department of Biology and senior author of the paper that was led by a former Texas A and M graduate student now in Uzbekistan, said.
"This will increase the competitiveness of natural cotton fibers versus synthetic fibers, which have been snagging an increasing amount of the market share every year," he said.
The overwhelming majority of cotton harvested in the US and worldwide is upland cotton, or Gossypium hirsutum, with more than 6.5 million acres planted in 2012 in Texas alone, according to the USDA.
A higher-end cotton called Gossypium barbadense is more desirable because of greater fiber length and strength but is late-maturing, low-yielding and more difficult to grow because it requires dry climates with significant irrigation and is less resistant to pathogens and pests.
The researchers` method increased the length of the fiber by at least 5 millimeters, or 17 percent, compared to the control plants in their experiment.
The research is published in the journal Nature Communications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price