Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey Brin, Yuri Milner launch $33 mn Science Prize
New Delhi: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla have joined hands with Google co-founder Sergey Brin and famous venture capitalist Yuri Milner to launch the new USD 3 million award for excellence in life sciences.
“Priscilla and I are honoured to be part of this,” Zuckerberg said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the new foundation while addressing the audience at University of California, San Francisco’s Mission Bay medical campus. “We believe the Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences has the potential to provide a platform for other models of philanthropy, so people everywhere have an opportunity at a better future,” he added.
The Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences Foundation has already selected 11 winners for this year, which includes the names of neurobiologist Cornelia Bargmann, geneticist Hans Clevers and molecular biologist Napolean Ferrara. Each of these winners will receive a reward of USD 3 million.
Further on, these prizes will continue annually and five frontrunners will be announced every year by the foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das