Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey Brin, Yuri Milner launch $33 mn Science Prize
New Delhi: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla have joined hands with Google co-founder Sergey Brin and famous venture capitalist Yuri Milner to launch the new USD 3 million award for excellence in life sciences.
“Priscilla and I are honoured to be part of this,” Zuckerberg said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the new foundation while addressing the audience at University of California, San Francisco’s Mission Bay medical campus. “We believe the Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences has the potential to provide a platform for other models of philanthropy, so people everywhere have an opportunity at a better future,” he added.
The Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences Foundation has already selected 11 winners for this year, which includes the names of neurobiologist Cornelia Bargmann, geneticist Hans Clevers and molecular biologist Napolean Ferrara. Each of these winners will receive a reward of USD 3 million.
Further on, these prizes will continue annually and five frontrunners will be announced every year by the foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat
- Reality TV personality Khloe Kardashian slams Donald Trump