Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey Brin, Yuri Milner launch $33 mn Science Prize
New Delhi: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla have joined hands with Google co-founder Sergey Brin and famous venture capitalist Yuri Milner to launch the new USD 3 million award for excellence in life sciences.
“Priscilla and I are honoured to be part of this,” Zuckerberg said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the new foundation while addressing the audience at University of California, San Francisco’s Mission Bay medical campus. “We believe the Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences has the potential to provide a platform for other models of philanthropy, so people everywhere have an opportunity at a better future,” he added.
The Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences Foundation has already selected 11 winners for this year, which includes the names of neurobiologist Cornelia Bargmann, geneticist Hans Clevers and molecular biologist Napolean Ferrara. Each of these winners will receive a reward of USD 3 million.
Further on, these prizes will continue annually and five frontrunners will be announced every year by the foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday