Mark Zuckerberg, Sergey Brin, Yuri Milner launch $33 mn Science Prize
New Delhi: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and his wife Priscilla have joined hands with Google co-founder Sergey Brin and famous venture capitalist Yuri Milner to launch the new USD 3 million award for excellence in life sciences.
“Priscilla and I are honoured to be part of this,” Zuckerberg said in a statement on Wednesday, announcing the new foundation while addressing the audience at University of California, San Francisco’s Mission Bay medical campus. “We believe the Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences has the potential to provide a platform for other models of philanthropy, so people everywhere have an opportunity at a better future,” he added.
The Breakthrough Prize in Life Sciences Foundation has already selected 11 winners for this year, which includes the names of neurobiologist Cornelia Bargmann, geneticist Hans Clevers and molecular biologist Napolean Ferrara. Each of these winners will receive a reward of USD 3 million.
Further on, these prizes will continue annually and five frontrunners will be announced every year by the foundation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees