`Master key` to Android phones uncovered
London: A ` master key` has been reportedly discovered by a security research firm which could potentially give cyber attackers access to almost every Android phone.
According to BBC, security research firm BlueBox has discovered the loophole which is present in every version of the Android operating system released since 2009.
The bug emerges as a result of the way Android handles cryptographic verification of the programs installed on the phone.
The report said that Android uses the cryptographic signature as a way to check that an app or program is legitimate and to ensure it has not been tampered with.
Jeff Forristal from BlueBox and his colleagues have found a method of tricking the way Android checks these signatures so that malicious changes to the apps go unnoticed.
Forristal said that the implications of this discovery could be `huge` as it can take over the normal functioning of the phone and control any function thereof.
Security expert Dan Wallach said that in order to catch Android users, malicious hackers would have to get their booby-trapped version of a legitimate application on to the Google Play store.
According to the report, BlueBox had reported finding the bug to Google in February.
Google denied commenting on BlueBox discovery, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets
- After Jayalalithaa, Sasikala Natarajan holds all cards – Know more about her