Material that can bear 160,000 times its own weight developed
New York: Out of polymers, metals and ceramics, scientists have successfully developed and printed an ultra light material that can withstand 160,000 times its own weight.
Using what is called additive micro-manufacturing processes, the researchers developed the micro-architected metamaterials - artificial materials with properties not found in nature - that maintain a nearly constant stiffness per unit mass density, even at ultra low density.
Materials with these properties have the potential to be used for developing parts and components for aircraft, automobiles and space vehicles.
"These lightweight materials can withstand a load of at least 160,000 times their own weight," said Xiaoyu "Rayne" Zheng from Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) in the US.
The additive micro-manufacturing process involves using a micro-mirror display chip to create high-fidelity three dimensional (3D) parts - one layer at a time - from photosensitive feedstock materials.
It allowed the team to rapidly generate materials with complex 3D micro-scale geometries that are otherwise challenging or in some cases, impossible to fabricate.
"Now we can print a stiff and resilient material using a desktop machine," said Nicholas Fang, professor at Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US.
The observed high stiffness was shown to be true with multiple constituent materials such as polymers, metals and ceramics.
The findings appeared in the journal Science.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy