Mathematical formula that leads to 20pc cuts in energy consumption in buildings developed
Washington: A team of researchers have devised a mathematical formula that detects unreliable systems and faulty equipment that affects energy consumption in buildings.
Companies lose millions of dollars annually through inefficient heating and cooling systems. Nearly 95 percent of all U.S. companies don`t monitor their building energy efficiency due to a lack of awareness, existing infrastructure restrictions or the prohibitive cost of commercial monitors.
Li Song from University of Oklahoma, along with her research colleagues, Gang Wang, University of Miami assistant professor, and Mike Brambley, staff scientist, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, have invented a method that overcomes these barriers to significantly reduce building operating costs as well as energy consumption.
Her applied research has potential to reduce energy consumption in a single structure by as much as 20 percent. Depending on the building conditions, Song estimates peak savings could be as much as 30 to 50 percent.
Song`s research team devised a mathematical formula using existing output data, such as pump speed and power, to monitor energy use in heating, ventilation and air conditioning units.
Based on the results, the formula detects unreliable systems and faulty equipment that affects energy consumption. Song`s formula creates virtual sensors to identify energy waste at the air-handling unit as well as at a whole-building level.
Besides saving companies money on utility bills, Song`s formula is a low-cost option to commercial monitors, making it easier for more companies to track energy efficiency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister