Meet zonkey, hybrid of zebra and donkey
New York: A zebra mated with a breed of endangered donkey to produce a love child like no other in Amiata, Italy.
Ippo the zonkey was born on Saturday. A zebra, which had been rescued from a failing zoo, fathered him.
Owner Serena Aglietti had built a fence to separate the two animals but somehow the zebra was able to climb over the barrier to mate with the donkey.
A few months later, the zonkey was born bearing the characteristics of both his parents, the New York Daily News reported.
According to ANSA, the zonkey is in good health.
Zonkeys, sometimes calls zedonks or zebroids, are an extremely rare sight.
They are usually the love child of a male zebra and a female donkey but have the inability to reproduce, due to the incompatability of their parents` chromosomes.
Another specimen of zonkey, Pippi took birth at the Chestatee Wildlife Preserve in near Dahlonega, Georgia, in 2010, CNN reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state