Meet zonkey, hybrid of zebra and donkey
New York: A zebra mated with a breed of endangered donkey to produce a love child like no other in Amiata, Italy.
Ippo the zonkey was born on Saturday. A zebra, which had been rescued from a failing zoo, fathered him.
Owner Serena Aglietti had built a fence to separate the two animals but somehow the zebra was able to climb over the barrier to mate with the donkey.
A few months later, the zonkey was born bearing the characteristics of both his parents, the New York Daily News reported.
According to ANSA, the zonkey is in good health.
Zonkeys, sometimes calls zedonks or zebroids, are an extremely rare sight.
They are usually the love child of a male zebra and a female donkey but have the inability to reproduce, due to the incompatability of their parents` chromosomes.
Another specimen of zonkey, Pippi took birth at the Chestatee Wildlife Preserve in near Dahlonega, Georgia, in 2010, CNN reported.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?