Meet zonkey, hybrid of zebra and donkey
New York: A zebra mated with a breed of endangered donkey to produce a love child like no other in Amiata, Italy.
Ippo the zonkey was born on Saturday. A zebra, which had been rescued from a failing zoo, fathered him.
Owner Serena Aglietti had built a fence to separate the two animals but somehow the zebra was able to climb over the barrier to mate with the donkey.
A few months later, the zonkey was born bearing the characteristics of both his parents, the New York Daily News reported.
According to ANSA, the zonkey is in good health.
Zonkeys, sometimes calls zedonks or zebroids, are an extremely rare sight.
They are usually the love child of a male zebra and a female donkey but have the inability to reproduce, due to the incompatability of their parents` chromosomes.
Another specimen of zonkey, Pippi took birth at the Chestatee Wildlife Preserve in near Dahlonega, Georgia, in 2010, CNN reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka