Meet zonkey, hybrid of zebra and donkey
New York: A zebra mated with a breed of endangered donkey to produce a love child like no other in Amiata, Italy.
Ippo the zonkey was born on Saturday. A zebra, which had been rescued from a failing zoo, fathered him.
Owner Serena Aglietti had built a fence to separate the two animals but somehow the zebra was able to climb over the barrier to mate with the donkey.
A few months later, the zonkey was born bearing the characteristics of both his parents, the New York Daily News reported.
According to ANSA, the zonkey is in good health.
Zonkeys, sometimes calls zedonks or zebroids, are an extremely rare sight.
They are usually the love child of a male zebra and a female donkey but have the inability to reproduce, due to the incompatability of their parents` chromosomes.
Another specimen of zonkey, Pippi took birth at the Chestatee Wildlife Preserve in near Dahlonega, Georgia, in 2010, CNN reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- US backed Syrian rebel forces seize military airport near IS stronghold
- China: Man rapes housemate, dumps victim in suitcase
- Good news for home buyers! Builders may have to pay 11% interest for delay in housing projects
- Case filed against PM Narendra Modi for insulting national flag
- Subramanian Swamy says he stands by PM Narendra Modi