Meet zonkey, hybrid of zebra and donkey
New York: A zebra mated with a breed of endangered donkey to produce a love child like no other in Amiata, Italy.
Ippo the zonkey was born on Saturday. A zebra, which had been rescued from a failing zoo, fathered him.
Owner Serena Aglietti had built a fence to separate the two animals but somehow the zebra was able to climb over the barrier to mate with the donkey.
A few months later, the zonkey was born bearing the characteristics of both his parents, the New York Daily News reported.
According to ANSA, the zonkey is in good health.
Zonkeys, sometimes calls zedonks or zebroids, are an extremely rare sight.
They are usually the love child of a male zebra and a female donkey but have the inability to reproduce, due to the incompatability of their parents` chromosomes.
Another specimen of zonkey, Pippi took birth at the Chestatee Wildlife Preserve in near Dahlonega, Georgia, in 2010, CNN reported.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter