Microsoft's new app can identify your dog's breed
New York: US-based technology giant Microsoft has launched a new image recognition app that looks at photos of dogs to identify its breed or at least tell the percentage of the closest match in case it cannot make an exact match.
Fetch -- an iPhone app -- is the latest in a series of fun projects that are meant to highlight machine learning's potential.
The app uses a machine learning technique called deep neural networks, the technology website Tech Crunch reported.
"…there is very advanced work underway at Microsoft in this area, which are able to take apart subtle differences, even when breeds look similar or through the many different colors within breeds," Mitch Goldberg, development director at Microsoft Research in Cambridge, Britain-based team which built the app, was quoted as saying.
"Every time we add more, that's the beauty of the deep neural network in understanding new, unique breeds. This is a really complex problem," Goldberg added.
To use the app, you simply show it a picture of a dog and it returns with the name of the breed. If there is no dog in the photo, the app says: "No dogs found!"
Last year, Microsoft launched a website that would guess people's ages from their photos. However, the results were a hit or miss because the results depended on the many factors of the picture such as framing and lightening in the picture.
Similarly, the company released MyMoustache app to recognise and rate facial hair.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next