Mima mound mystery solved
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists claim to have solved the mystery behind Mima mounds - the enormous, natural bubble wrap like geological anomalies bulging out of the ground.
These natural mounds composed of loose, unstratified, often gravelly sediment are the most common in North America.
Researchers, until now, have been unsuccessful in figuring the exact reason behind the formation of these moulds.
Initially, Mima mounds were thought to be Native American burial sites. Since no skeletons or grave relics were ever found inside, experts went on to suggest other hypotheses like earthquakes, glaciers and floods as the cause.
According to the latest study, pocket gophers - tiny burrowing animals – are the reason behind the circular hillocks that cover great swathes of land.
Researchers used a computer program to analyse the role of gophers in formation of the mounds.
They found that gophers, in order to stay dry moved the earth upward and this phenomenon repeated over hundreds of years by generations of gophers led to the formation of the mounds.
“The computer model results looked exactly similar to the mounds in every way”, lead researcher Dr Manny Gabet, of San Jose State University was quoted as saying to a leading website.
Mima mounds are found in every continent except Antarctica, and subterranean mammals like moles, could be responsible for the formation of the unique landscape, the researcher said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why