Mima mound mystery solved
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Scientists claim to have solved the mystery behind Mima mounds - the enormous, natural bubble wrap like geological anomalies bulging out of the ground.
These natural mounds composed of loose, unstratified, often gravelly sediment are the most common in North America.
Researchers, until now, have been unsuccessful in figuring the exact reason behind the formation of these moulds.
Initially, Mima mounds were thought to be Native American burial sites. Since no skeletons or grave relics were ever found inside, experts went on to suggest other hypotheses like earthquakes, glaciers and floods as the cause.
According to the latest study, pocket gophers - tiny burrowing animals – are the reason behind the circular hillocks that cover great swathes of land.
Researchers used a computer program to analyse the role of gophers in formation of the mounds.
They found that gophers, in order to stay dry moved the earth upward and this phenomenon repeated over hundreds of years by generations of gophers led to the formation of the mounds.
“The computer model results looked exactly similar to the mounds in every way”, lead researcher Dr Manny Gabet, of San Jose State University was quoted as saying to a leading website.
Mima mounds are found in every continent except Antarctica, and subterranean mammals like moles, could be responsible for the formation of the unique landscape, the researcher said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video