Money doesn`t grow on trees but gold just might: Study
Paris: Researchers said Tuesday they had found a surprising marker for deep-buried gold, miniscule traces in the leaves of Eucalyptus trees growing over veins of the yellow metal.
The unusual finding may prove a boon for prospectors in a time of dwindling gold reserves and skyrocketing prices, with new discoveries down 45 per cent in the past decade, according to a study in the journal Nature Communications.
"This link between... Vegetation growth and buried gold deposits could prove instrumental in developing new technologies for mineral exploration," said a press summary.
Eucalyptus trees can send their roots deep into the ground in search of water in dry areas, even breaking into gold-rich zones where they absorb microscopic metal particles as they drink.
A team of scientists from Australia said they have now shown that gold can be absorbed by the roots and travel through the tree, all the way to its leaves, though in negligible concentrations.
According to the World Gold Council, more than 174,000 tonnes of gold have been extracted from Earth since the beginning of civilisation.
In 2011, the US Geological Survey estimated there were 51,000 tonnes of gold left in reserve in the world.
The price of the precious metal skyrocketed 482 per cent between December 2000 and March this year. Sixty per cent becomes jewellery, but gold is also a crucial component in electronics and is used in medical technology, including for cancer treatment.
For the study, the team investigated Eucalyptus trees growing at two gold prospecting sites in south and west Australia, using X-ray imaging to check for gold in the leaves, twigs, bark, litter and soil.
Eucalyptus trees, some of which can grow taller than 10 metres have an unusually deep and extensive root system -- some have been documented at a depth of 40 metres.
The concentrations were weak -- several hundredths to thousandths of a gram per tonne, but highest in the leaves, the researchers found.
"Gold is probably toxic to plants and is moved to its Minute traces of gold have sometimes been found on plants, but it had never been clear whether these had been absorbed or blown there by the wind.
The new finding "promotes confidence in an emerging technique that may lead to future exploration success and maintain continuity of supply" of gold, wrote the study authors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- BCCI announces full-strength squad for Bangladesh, Harbhajan Singh makes Test return
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared