Monkeys use brain to move 2 virtual arms
Washington: Monkeys were able to control the movement of both arms on an avatar using just their brain activity, a new study has suggested.
To enable the monkeys to control two virtual arms, researchers recorded nearly 500 neurons from multiple areas in both cerebral hemispheres of the animals` brains, the largest number of neurons recorded and reported to date.
Millions of people worldwide suffer from sensory and motor deficits caused by spinal cord injuries.
Researchers are working to develop tools to help restore their mobility and sense of touch by connecting their brains with assistive devices.
The brain-machine interface approach, pioneered at the Duke University Center for Neuroengineering in the early 2000s, holds promise for reaching this goal. However, until now brain-machine interfaces could only control a single prosthetic limb.
Senior author Miguel Nicolelis, M.D., Ph.D., professor of neurobiology at Duke University School of Medicine, said that bimanual movements in our daily activities-from typing on a keyboard to opening a can-are critically important.
He said that future brain-machine interfaces aimed at restoring mobility in humans will have to incorporate multiple limbs to greatly benefit severely paralyzed patients.
The study has been published in the journal Science Translational Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof