Most Americans disapprove govt.`s phone snooping: Survey
Washington: Most Americans disapprove of US government`s snooping of phone lines, a new study has revealed.
Americans approve of collecting phone records of only those who are suspected of terrorist activity.
The survey conducted by Sarah Dutton, Jennifer De Pinto, Anthony Salvanto and Fred Backus of CBS; found that 75 percent Americans approve of federal agencies collecting phone records of people suspected of terrorist activity while 58 percent disapprove it for ordinary Americans.
A majority of 53 percent said that collection of phone records is a necessary step to find terrorists and 73 percent approve of the practice of monitoring those living in foreign countries.
30 percent think leaking of the surveillance programme may weaken the country`s ability to prevent future terrorist attacks.
28 percent Americans are very concerned about losing their privacy with the federal agency`s steps and just over a third are somewhat concerned about their phone records being tracked.
36 percent believe that the government has gone too far in infringing people`s privacy to counter terrorism.
The survey found that 16 percent think an attack like the Boston Marathon Bombing is less likely after the government`s measures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video