`Neanderthals evolved in a piecemeal fashion`
London: In a significant discovery, a "pit of bones" found at a possible burial site in northern Spain has offered a rare glimpse into the early evolution of the Neanderthals.
The distinctive facial features of the big-bodied hunter-gatherers, who dominated Europe long before modern humans arrived there, evolved stepwise, the discovery reveals.
A team led by Juan Luis Arsuaga, a palaeoanthropologist from Complutense University of Madrid, Spain, recovered the remains of around 28 individuals in the 13-metre pit.
They analysed 17 of those skulls.
"The 430,000-year-old skulls display key Neanderthal features, such as the beginning of a prominent brow ridge, a distinctive jaw shape and patterns of cusps on the teeth," said Arsuaga.
Yet, the skulls lack other traits that define the species - notably a large cranium - holding a brain bigger than that of Homo sapiens, on average.
According to Arsuaga, Neanderthals evolved in a piecemeal fashion after their common ancestor with Homo sapiens left Africa more than half a million years ago.
The emergence of Neanderthals is just as mysterious as their disappearance about 30,000 years ago.
Sima de los Huesos - Spanish for "pit of bones" - is one of the richest human-fossil sites in the world.
The study appeared in the journal Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in