Neanderthals from Western Europe almost became extinct before modern humans set in
Washington: A new study of mitochondrial DNA sequences suggests that Western Europe may have undergone a population crisis during a cold stretch of the Neanderthal era.
Study co-author Love Dalen, associate professor at the Swedish Museum of Natural History in Stockholm, told Phys.org that the fact that Neanderthals in Western Europe were nearly extinct, but then recovered long before they came into contact with modern humans came as a complete surprise.
"This indicates that the Neanderthals may have been more sensitive to the dramatic climate changes that took place in the last Ice Age than was previously thought," Dalen said.
By analyzing the amount of genetic variation in the DNA from 13 Neanderthals, the scientists pieced together the puzzle of a demographic history. The DNA of Neanderthals from more than 50,000 years ago showed a high degree of genetic variation, in contrast to the DNA of those from less than 50,000 years ago. That group showed much less genetic variation.
Until now, the Neanderthal population was assumed to be stable until modern humans began showing up. Extinction was avoided when Neanderthals from surrounding areas repopulated the region.
But the new research suggests that Neanderthals may have been more susceptible to cold than previously thought.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state