New `air touch` technology to bring `Minority Report` system closer to reality
Washington: Taiwan`s nonprofit technology institute is reportedly working on a new i-Air Touch (iAT) technology that could possibly bring the holographic operating system in `Minority Report` closer to reality.
The Industrial Technology Research Institute has developed the iAT Technology, which is essentially an augmented-reality system that falls somewhere between the compact specs of Google Glass and the original, bulkier virtual-reality systems of the 1990s.
According to Cnet, the technology doesn`t rely on voice commands but projects a virtual touch-based interface in the user`s field of vision that appears to float in the air and can be operated with touch, and the `air touches` are then sent to host device like laptop pr smartphone that the headset is tethered to.
Deputy General Director of ITRI`s Electronics and Optoelectronics Research Laboratories, Golden Tiao said that the iAT is also suitable for medical applications such as endoscopic surgery and any industrial applications that benefit from hands-free input.
The report said that the camera in iAT only activates when it detects a user`s fingertip within a predetermined input distance range, which means that it only turns on when it detects that someone is trying to ` air touch` the virtual input.
ITRI said that the technology is available now for licensing by mobile companies and anyone else, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Hero launches 17 cycles, price starts Rs 7,000
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks