New approach to improve hurricane intensity forecast
New York: In what could offer a new method to aid in storm intensity prediction of hurricanes, researchers have found that physical conditions at the air-sea interface, where the ocean and atmosphere meet, is a key component to improve forecast models.
"The general assumption has been that the large density difference between the ocean and atmosphere makes that interface too stable to effect storm intensity," said Brian Haus, professor of ocean sciences at University of Miami in the US.
"In this study we show that a type of instability may help explain rapid intensification of some tropical storms," Haus added.
The research team`s experimental simulations show that the type of instability, known as Kelvin-Helmoltz instability, could explain this intensification.
Experiments conducted at University of Miami Rosenstiel School Air-Sea Interaction Salt Water Tank (ASIST) simulated the wind speed and ocean surface conditions of a tropical storm.
The researchers used a technique called "shadow imaging", where a guided laser is sent through air and water to measure the physical properties of the ocean`s surface during extreme winds, equivalent to a category-3 hurricane.
Using the data obtained from the laboratory experiments, the researchers then developed numerical simulations to show that changes in the physical stress at the ocean surface at hurricane force wind speeds may explain the rapid intensification of some tropical storms.
The study appeared in the journal Nature Scientific Reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi