New breakthrough could help improve telecommunication technology
Washington: Researchers have performed a study that can induce certain improvements to reduce the payload mass as well as to ensure the signal stability in communication and GPS-navigation satellites.
Researchers from the Moscow State University (MSU) together with their Swiss colleagues demonstrated that the primary source of noise in microresonator based optical frequency combs is related to non-linear harmonic generation mechanisms rather that by fundamental physical limitations and in principle reducible.
Michael Gorodetsky, co-author claimed that the study contained at least three important results: scientists found a technique to generate stable femtosecond (duration of the order of 10-15 seconds) pulses, optical combs and microwave signals.
Physicists used a microresonator to convert continuous laser emission into periodic pulses of extremely short duration.
Gorodetsky said that in mode-locked femtosecond lasers complex optical devices, media and special mirrors are normally used. However they succeeded in obtaining stable pulses just in passive optical resonator using its own non-linearity
The short pulses generated in the microresonator are known as optical solitons (example tsunami wave).
He added that one can generate a single stable soliton circulating inside a microresonator and in the output optical fiber, one can obtain a periodic series of pulses with a period corresponding to a round trip time of the soliton.
Such pulses last for 100-200 femtoseconds, but the authors are sure that much shorter solitons are achievable.
The paper has been published in Nature Photonics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read