New breakthrough could help improve telecommunication technology
Washington: Researchers have performed a study that can induce certain improvements to reduce the payload mass as well as to ensure the signal stability in communication and GPS-navigation satellites.
Researchers from the Moscow State University (MSU) together with their Swiss colleagues demonstrated that the primary source of noise in microresonator based optical frequency combs is related to non-linear harmonic generation mechanisms rather that by fundamental physical limitations and in principle reducible.
Michael Gorodetsky, co-author claimed that the study contained at least three important results: scientists found a technique to generate stable femtosecond (duration of the order of 10-15 seconds) pulses, optical combs and microwave signals.
Physicists used a microresonator to convert continuous laser emission into periodic pulses of extremely short duration.
Gorodetsky said that in mode-locked femtosecond lasers complex optical devices, media and special mirrors are normally used. However they succeeded in obtaining stable pulses just in passive optical resonator using its own non-linearity
The short pulses generated in the microresonator are known as optical solitons (example tsunami wave).
He added that one can generate a single stable soliton circulating inside a microresonator and in the output optical fiber, one can obtain a periodic series of pulses with a period corresponding to a round trip time of the soliton.
Such pulses last for 100-200 femtoseconds, but the authors are sure that much shorter solitons are achievable.
The paper has been published in Nature Photonics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional