New car system to warn drivers against making phone calls
London: Scientists have developed a new facial recognition system that detects when drivers are using their mobile phones and warns them to put the devices down.
The software system, developed by Brazilian researchers, has a dashboard camera that issues a warning to drivers when they raise their mobile phone to their ear.
The camera detects a driver`s face and the area around it, `The Times` reported.
The software, developed by scientists at Santa Catarina State University in Joacaba, identifies skin areas and determines whether they represent a face alone, or a face with a hand next to it - a tell-tale sign that the driver is making a phone call.
If the software thinks that there is a hand next to the face, it will give the driver a warning.
The system could be used by car hire companies and parents worried about their children making calls while driving.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- 2nd T20I: India vs South Africa - Preview