New catfish species found in Brazil
London: Scientists have discovered a tiny new species of catfish, measuring only about 3 cm in length, in Brazil.
The new species Pareiorhina hyptiorhachis, found in the waters of Rio Paraiba do Sul basin, belongs to a genus of armoured catfishes native to South America.
These fish get their name from their strange elongated mouth barbels that remind of cat`s whiskers.
The new species is distinguished from others species of the genus by the presence of a conspicuous ridge on the trunk posterior to the dorsal fin (postdorsal ridge).
Pareiorhina hyptiorhachis is only about 3-3.5 cm in length, making it one of the smallest representatives of the catfish order.
Although the new species is only the size of a decorative fish, there are even smaller representatives in the group. Some of the smallest species of Aspredinidae and Trichomycteridae for example reach sexual maturity at only 1 cm in total.
On the other side of the scale is the wels catfish whose representatives can reach more than 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) in length and sometimes exceeded 100 kilogrammes.
This fish has also been recorded to feed on frogs, rats, mice and even some aquatic birds. Many of the large catfish species are farmed or fished for food thus being of significant scientific importance.
Small representatives, on the other hand, are often used as aquarium decorative fish.
The discovery was published in the journal Zookeys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?