New catfish species found in Brazil
London: Scientists have discovered a tiny new species of catfish, measuring only about 3 cm in length, in Brazil.
The new species Pareiorhina hyptiorhachis, found in the waters of Rio Paraiba do Sul basin, belongs to a genus of armoured catfishes native to South America.
These fish get their name from their strange elongated mouth barbels that remind of cat`s whiskers.
The new species is distinguished from others species of the genus by the presence of a conspicuous ridge on the trunk posterior to the dorsal fin (postdorsal ridge).
Pareiorhina hyptiorhachis is only about 3-3.5 cm in length, making it one of the smallest representatives of the catfish order.
Although the new species is only the size of a decorative fish, there are even smaller representatives in the group. Some of the smallest species of Aspredinidae and Trichomycteridae for example reach sexual maturity at only 1 cm in total.
On the other side of the scale is the wels catfish whose representatives can reach more than 2.5 metres (8.2 ft) in length and sometimes exceeded 100 kilogrammes.
This fish has also been recorded to feed on frogs, rats, mice and even some aquatic birds. Many of the large catfish species are farmed or fished for food thus being of significant scientific importance.
Small representatives, on the other hand, are often used as aquarium decorative fish.
The discovery was published in the journal Zookeys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP