New dino species with huge nose and horns unearthed in US
Washington: A North American dinosaur that has a large nose and gigantic horns, has been discovered for the first time in southern Utah`s badlands.
The dinosaur that has been named Nasuceratops titusi aka ` Big Nosed Horned Faced,` was nearly 15 feet long and was about 2.75 tons heavy, Discovery News reported.
The newly found dinosaur species lived about 76 million years ago.
Lead author Scott Sampson of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, said that the jumbo-sized schnoz of Nasutoceratops most likely had nothing to do with a heightened sense of smell, asserting that the function of the bizarre feature remained uncertain.he unearthed dinosaur belonged to the plant eating family and was from the same family as Triceratops.
Co-author Mark Loewen of the Natural History Museum of Utah and the University of Utah, said that the Nasutoceratops` horns could have been used as visual signals of dominance or as weapons to fight with their rivals.
The new species was discovered by Eric Lund of Ohio University.
The findings have been published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- West Bengal Assembly elections: 4 bombs found in a polling station
- BCCI constitution is highly incapable of achieving transparency, accountability: Supreme Court
- West Bengal Assembly polls: Political parties go all out to woo enclave voters
- Exercise Red Flag: Can IAF pilots outgun American top guns?
- BSEAP.org SSC Results 2016: BSEAP 10th X Class SSC Andhra Pradesh Board Exam Results 2016 likely to be declared on May 5 on manabadi.co.in