New dino species with huge nose and horns unearthed in US
Washington: A North American dinosaur that has a large nose and gigantic horns, has been discovered for the first time in southern Utah`s badlands.
The dinosaur that has been named Nasuceratops titusi aka ` Big Nosed Horned Faced,` was nearly 15 feet long and was about 2.75 tons heavy, Discovery News reported.
The newly found dinosaur species lived about 76 million years ago.
Lead author Scott Sampson of the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, said that the jumbo-sized schnoz of Nasutoceratops most likely had nothing to do with a heightened sense of smell, asserting that the function of the bizarre feature remained uncertain.he unearthed dinosaur belonged to the plant eating family and was from the same family as Triceratops.
Co-author Mark Loewen of the Natural History Museum of Utah and the University of Utah, said that the Nasutoceratops` horns could have been used as visual signals of dominance or as weapons to fight with their rivals.
The new species was discovered by Eric Lund of Ohio University.
The findings have been published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened