New edible films to preserve bread longer
Washington: New edible films containing oils from clove and oregano can preserve bread longer than commercial additives, a study shows.
"The search for new ways to keep packaged food from spoiling has led some scientists to essential oils, which can keep bacteria and mold at bay," said researcher Nilda de F.F. Soares from Federal University of Vicosa in Minas Gerais, Brazil.
Oils from clove and oregano have already been incorporated into edible films.
But scientists still needed to optimise the effectiveness of these films and test them under real-life conditions for other uses.
The scientists bought preservative-free bread and placed slices in plastic bags with or without essential oil-infused edible films.
To some slices, they added a commercial preservative containing calcium propionate.
After 10 days, the latter additive lost its effectiveness, but the edible films made with small droplets of the oils continued to slow mold growth, the study said.
Essential oils have boomed in popularity as more people seek out alternatives to replace their synthetic cleaning products, anti-mosquito sprays and medicines.
Now scientists are tapping them as candidates to preserve food in a more consumer-friendly way.
The study appeared in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi