New fingerprinting technique can identify suspect`s gender
London: Scientists have developed a new futuristic fingerprinting technique that can tell whether the prints were left by a male or female and identify products such as hair gels.
The technology, which is being trialled by West Yorkshire Police, analyses proteins that are secreted in sweat to determine with 85 per cent accuracy whether the prints were left by a male or female.
The technique, which is sensitive to minute concentrations of chemicals, can identify products such as hair gels, condom lubricants and cleaning products as well as showing whether someone has consumed coffee or drugs during the hours before a crime took place.
"It means if we can`t identify them, we can still get some intelligence and build up an offender profile. I see this being used routinely on crime scenes," said Neil Denison, a fingerprint expert and West Yorkshire Police`s Regional Head of Identification Services.
The trial will also test how accurately prints can be dated, based on the idea that certain chemical constituents of a print will degrade more quickly than others, `The Times` reported.
"We think this is the future of finger printing. You`ll be able to see what a person has been doing before committing the crime and get a sense of their lifestyle," said Dr Simona Francese, a forensic scientist at Sheffield Hallam University who is leading the trial.
At a crime scene, police isolate the prints using powder in the normal way. After the fingerprints have been lifted for identification purposes, the forensic scientists take a second lift of the print with tape, collecting the chemical residue left by the suspect.
This is then analysed with a spectroscopic technique, called MALDI-MSI, which allows scientists to work out the different compounds contained in the residue.
By measuring the level of proteins and other compounds that are released in sweat, scientists have shown the technique is 85 per cent accurate at determining the sex of a person based on their fingerprint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'