New fossil evidence of mythical Kraken discovered
Washington: Researchers, who first hinted at a giant kraken roaming the seas in 2011, are now backing their claims with new fossil evidence.
The researchers have claimed to have found a fossil that looks like an ancient squid or octopus` beak.
Mark McMenamin, a paleontologist at Mount Holyoke College in Massachusetts, ahs presented the evidence which is an odd arrangement of vertebrae of the ichthyosaur Shonisaurus popularis that was discovered in Berlin-Ichthyosaur State Park in Nevada.
Shonisaurus popularis was a school-bus-size, flippered marine reptile which lived in the Triassic period, 250 - 200 million years ago.
McMenamin and his team said that the bones had been arranged there by a giant cephalopod (an octopus or squid) that was playing with its food.
Now, McMenamin said that the possibility of natural processes like currents or mud compaction is "virtually zero" for them being able to re-arrange the bones, LiveScience reported.
To back his claim he talked about another example: an ichthyosaur fossil that was earlier on display at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas Museum of Natural History.
The fossil was laid out in the museum exactly as the one that was found in the field.
Adjacent to the ichthyosaur was a "debris pile" of scattered bones that were no longer in their proper place in the skeleton.
And off to the side was a double row of vertebrae that was in the same configuration as McMenamin and his team had seen in the original ichthyosaur remains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation