New smartphone selfie app to help keep track of your cholesterol level
Washington: Engineers have invented a new lifesaving smartphone app that will help the user keep an eye on his or her cholesterol levels with just a selfie.
The Smartphone Cholesterol Application for Rapid Diagnostics, or "smartCARD," reads your cholesterol level in about a minute.
David Erickson, Cornell associate professor of mechanical engineering and senior author on a new peer-reviewed study, said that smartphones have the potential to address health issues by eliminating the need for specialized equipment.
Thanks to advanced, sophisticated camera technology, Erickson and his colleagues have created a smartphone accessory that optically detects biomarkers in a drop of blood, sweat or saliva. The new application then discerns the results using color analysis.
When a user puts a drop of blood on the cholesterol test strip, it processes the blood through separation steps and chemical reactions. The strip is then ready for colorimetric analysis by the smartphone application.
The smartCARD accessory, which looks somewhat like a smartphone credit card reader, clamps over the phone`s camera. Its built-in flash provides uniform, diffused light to illuminate the test strip that fits into the smartCARD reader.
The application in the phone calibrates the hue saturation to the image`s color values on the cholesterol test strip, and the results appear on your phone.
Erickson added that although smartCARD is ready to be brought to market immediately, he is optimistic that it will have even more its advanced capabilities in less than a year.
The study is published online in the journal Lab on a Chip.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional