New smartphone selfie app to help keep track of your cholesterol level
Washington: Engineers have invented a new lifesaving smartphone app that will help the user keep an eye on his or her cholesterol levels with just a selfie.
The Smartphone Cholesterol Application for Rapid Diagnostics, or "smartCARD," reads your cholesterol level in about a minute.
David Erickson, Cornell associate professor of mechanical engineering and senior author on a new peer-reviewed study, said that smartphones have the potential to address health issues by eliminating the need for specialized equipment.
Thanks to advanced, sophisticated camera technology, Erickson and his colleagues have created a smartphone accessory that optically detects biomarkers in a drop of blood, sweat or saliva. The new application then discerns the results using color analysis.
When a user puts a drop of blood on the cholesterol test strip, it processes the blood through separation steps and chemical reactions. The strip is then ready for colorimetric analysis by the smartphone application.
The smartCARD accessory, which looks somewhat like a smartphone credit card reader, clamps over the phone`s camera. Its built-in flash provides uniform, diffused light to illuminate the test strip that fits into the smartCARD reader.
The application in the phone calibrates the hue saturation to the image`s color values on the cholesterol test strip, and the results appear on your phone.
Erickson added that although smartCARD is ready to be brought to market immediately, he is optimistic that it will have even more its advanced capabilities in less than a year.
The study is published online in the journal Lab on a Chip.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory