New species of meat-eating dinosaur discovered
Washington: Fossil remains found in northwestern China have been identified as a new species of small theropod, or meat-eating, dinosaur.
The discovery was made by James Clark, the Ronald B. Weintraub Professor of Biology, in the Department of Biological Sciences of George Washington`s Columbian College of Arts and Sciences.
Dr. Clark, along with his then doctoral student Jonah Choiniere and a team of international researchers, found the dinosaur specimen in a remote region of Xinjiang in China in 2006.
In a research paper, Drs. Clark and Choiniere explain recovering the skull, mandible and partial skeleton of the dinosaur.
The new theropod was an estimated 1 meter or just over 3 feet long and probably weighed about 3 pounds.
"All that was exposed on the surface was a bit of the leg. We were pleasantly surprised to find a skull buried in the rock too," Dr. Clark said.
The dinosaur is named Aorun zhaoi, after the Dragon King in the Chinese epic tale Journey to the West.
It wasn`t necessarily a small dinosaur species, though, because Aorun was still a youngster when it became a fossil.
"We were able to look at microscopic details of Aorun`s bones and they showed that the animal was less than a year old when it died on the banks of a stream," Dr. Choiniere said.
Aorun lived more than 161 million years ago, in the earliest part of the Late Jurassic Period.
Its small, numerous teeth suggest that it would have eaten prey like lizards and small relatives of today`s mammals and crocodilians.
The findings are published in the Journal of Systematic Palaeontology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room