New system lets submarines see up through water`s surface
Washington: A submarine`s presence can be given away by its periscope protruding through the surface of the water, but a new system can allow an underwater camera to look up through the surface from below.
Scientists at the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology have devised the system called Stella Maris, which is short for Stellar Marine Refractive Imaging Sensor.
It works by digitally altering the images from the camera, in order to compensate for the visual distortions caused by waves moving through the water`s surface.
In Stella Maris, the sun`s rays shine through an underwater pinhole array (a thin metal sheet perforated with a grid of laser-cut holes) and down onto a glass image plane.
When the surface of the water is completely flat, the result will be a grid of evenly-spaced points of light on that plane.
As waves cause the rays to be refracted in a chaotic manner, however, the points of light on the plane will likewise move around relative to one another.
The system`s computer uses a sensor camera (as distinct from the primary imaging camera) to monitor those movements. Since it knows what the grid of light points is supposed to look like, it can tell exactly how the wave-altered pattern is deviating from that model.
It applies that information to the picture from the primary camera, altering it in the same way that the jumbled pattern of light points would need to be altered in order to make it uniform again, `Gizmag` reported.
However, the system`s usefulness on submarines appears to be limited to situations in which crews are trying to view ships or other objects that are quite close to the vessel.
The scientists believe that it could have other applications, such as on marine biology research platforms in which cameras need to see both above and below the surface.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test