New technology can create mugshots using only DNA
Washington: Scientists have developed a new technology that can map accurate facial structures using racial, gender, and genetic markers using DNA.
The researchers at Penn State and the Catholic University of Leuven captured a 3D image of 600 volunteers and created a mesh of 7000 points that were used to precisely measure how genes attached to ancestry and gender affect the face`s structural makeup, New Scientist reported.
Geneticist Mark Shriver is already using the statistical model aid in two serial rape cases in Pennsylvania and hopes that the tool can be used to improve images for ancient hominins.
The research team now needs to conduct similar studies in different populations and successfully replicate their findings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Barack Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU
- Islamic State captures 900 Kurdish civilians in north Syria in 3 weeks
- 33 killed in renewed clashes across Yemen
- 'North Korea now a nuclear threat to be reckoned with, Washington can expect more nuclear tests and missile launches'
- Two killed, 100 homes destroyed by fast-moving California wildfire