New technology can create mugshots using only DNA
Washington: Scientists have developed a new technology that can map accurate facial structures using racial, gender, and genetic markers using DNA.
The researchers at Penn State and the Catholic University of Leuven captured a 3D image of 600 volunteers and created a mesh of 7000 points that were used to precisely measure how genes attached to ancestry and gender affect the face`s structural makeup, New Scientist reported.
Geneticist Mark Shriver is already using the statistical model aid in two serial rape cases in Pennsylvania and hopes that the tool can be used to improve images for ancient hominins.
The research team now needs to conduct similar studies in different populations and successfully replicate their findings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore