New watch tells time by releasing scents
New York:A new chemical-based watch lets you know what time of the day it is by emitting specially-designed fragrances.
A fully functional prototype of the Scent Rhythm watch has been developed by Aisen Caro Chacin, a Physical Computing Lecturer at The New School, New York.
The watch emits the scents in minute doses and in tune with circadian cycle of the human body.
For instance, users get a fragrance of coffee in the morning, the smell of money in the afternoon, a relaxing whiskey scent in the evening, and a soothing chamomile fragrance at night.
Each chemically-supplemented scent aims to induce action appropriate to the time of day; the caffeine in the coffee scent for example, aims to trigger the person into being more active.
The watch packs four glass bulbs into its large frame. Each bulb is filled with around a millilitre of one of the four liquid scents.
Piezoelectric atomisers convert the liquid scent into puffs of misty fragrance, when triggered by the watch`s microcontroller.
The watch keeps track of time through a real time clock circuit.
Chacin decided to chemically supplement each scent to potentially enhance its psychological effect and promote the production of neurotransmitters, that would induce an appropriate action.
From 6 am to midday, or the rise period, the watch emits whiffs of coffee with caffeine.
In the active period, from 12 noon until 6 pm, it emits a scent of money (paper and tarnish) that`s supplemented with ginko biloba.
The evening block lasting from 6 pm to 12 am, or the rest period, features a scent of whiskey and tobacco, along with valerian root. Chamomile enhanced with melatonin is the final scent, emitted from 12 am to 6 am, the doze period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!