New way to levitate objects in air through sound developed
Washington: Powerful acoustic vibrations can lift things like toothpicks or water droplets into mid-air, but now researchers have managed to set tiny particles in a dance between shifting, overlapping ultrasonic beams that could shift them around a small cubic space.
In a video by the researchers from the University of Tokyo and Nagoya Institute of Technology, the roughly millimeter-sized balls, composed of polystyrene , perform the most impressive stunts, the Verge reported.
While the sound must be extremely intense, its high frequency makes it inaudible to human ears, and levitation can open up new ways for the researchers to manipulate objects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, Bihar Matric Results 2016: (biharboard.bih.nic.in), BSEB 10th Result 2016 to be declared tomorrow on May 29
- Shahid Kapoor-Alia Bhatt's 'Udta Punjab' is not banned, tweets Anurag Kashyap!
- Check out: 6 beauteous beaches in Odisha you didn't know much about!
- IPL VIDEO: When 'livid' Praveen Kumar charged at Hyderabad skipper David Warner
- Must watch: Indian billionaires and their private jets