Newly-hatched chickens much smarter than 3-year-old human babies
London: A new study has revealed that newly-hatched chickens have skills which can take human babies months or even years to master.
Fields of intelligence ranging from structural engineering to self-control appear to come more naturally to chicks than toddlers, the Independent reported.
Professor of animal welfare Christine Nichol, who reviewed 20 years of research on the topic for the University of Bristol, said we should no longer think of chickens as stupid.
In one test, the birds were allowed access to more food the longer they waited to start eating.
While 93 percent of hens were able to grasp this skill, comparable studies have suggested many humans cannot exhibit this kind of self-control until the age of four.
The study, supported by the Happy Egg Co., suggested that chicks are born with the ability to keep track of numbers up to five - preferring larger groups of eggs - a skill which babies need to be taught.
Chickens also reportedly have an instinctive ability to recognise structurally sound objects, favouring these over ones which seem dubious or inconsistent.
And they show awareness of objects which fall out of sight, keeping track of them in a way that is alien to babies up to the age of about one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31