Now, charge electronic devices by merely walking or driving
Washington: A multi-university team of engineers has developed a new device that could be a promising solution for charging smartphone batteries on the go, without the need for an electrical cord.
Incorporated directly into a cell phone housing, the team`s nanogenerator could harvest and convert vibration energy from a surface, such as the passenger seat of a moving vehicle, into power for the phone.
Xudong Wang, an assistant professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said they believe this development could be a new solution for creating self-charged personal electronics.
Wang, his Ph.D. student Yanchao Mao and collaborators from Sun Yat-sen University in China, and the University of Minnesota Duluth described their device, a mesoporous piezoelectric nanogenerator.
The nanogenerator takes advantage of a common piezoelectric polymer material called polyvinylidene fluoride, or PVDF. Piezoelectric materials can generate electricity from a mechanical force; conversely, they also can generate a mechanical strain from an applied electrical field.
The nanogenerator could become an integrated part of an electronic device- for example, as its back panel or housing- and automatically harvest energy from ambient vibrations to power the device directly.
The study was published in the journal Advanced Energy Materials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- Forex reserves touch a life-time high of $363.8 billion
- Women not safe in Bihar? After Nirbhaya-like gang-rape, another girl attacked with acid
- Modi, Putin vow to take forward India-Russia ties
- Euro 2016: Spain prepared for clash against 'powerful' Italy, says Iniesta
- READ: How Mahendra Singh Dhoni 'bowled over' this Pakistani model with his calmness