Now enjoy Arabian music with a personal touch
Cairo: Musical enjoyment has been given a new definition through a special website promoting a variety of alternative and independent music emerging in Egypt and the Middle East.
Dandin.me, the website serving as an entirely Arabic platform for sound sharing and dissemination, has been existing as a haven of music for nine months, according to Ahram Online.
Though Cairo has witnessed a recent upsurge of online radio, such as Gramafoon and Wasla FM, and Alexandria has been enjoying until recently Radio Tram, Dandin has created its distinction from these stations.
One cannot really classify Dandin as an online radio, since it is up to each user to choose and play tracks. A registered user can follow both artistes and other users.
Users can create playlists and save favourites. They can even upload their own tracks and share them with friends. One can register via the website directly or use existing own social media profiles such as Twitter, Google or Facebook.
Founded by three brothers -- Abdel-Rahman, Tariq, and Karim Hussein -- Dandin came into existence through a long process. Though the website was officially launched in October 2013, its concept had been playing in Abdel-Rahman and Tariq`s minds for quite a while.
Back in their early 20s, Abdel-Rahman and Tariq were musicians but felt frustrated due to lack of opportunities for independent artistes.
"There was nothing to do. You could play a show or two but that was it. There was no space to deposit what you are doing and have it live there so people can engage with it," said Abdel-Rahman Hussein.
According to Ahram online, today Dandin is actually about sound and sonority in its entirety. "Music is one of the many forms of sound that Dandin offers, classifying it under many genres, including pop, rock, oriental soul, rap, mahraganat, folk, film soundtracks and electronic music."
The website also hosts poetry, comedy sketches, political rants and storytelling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’