Now, solar-powered car that follows the sun to maximize energy gain
Washington: Researchers have developed a solar-powered concept car that will follow the sun to maximize its energy collection.
Ford`s C-MAX Solar Energi Concept vehicle is the first-ever solar-powered hybrid, that will be able to "creep" back and forth a short distance to get the best exposure for its rooftop collection panels.
And those panels will get a powerful assist from a special energy concentrator device.
The C-MAX Solar Energi Concept will feature a rooftop solar panel array developed in partnership with SunPower Corp. of San Jose, California.
Ford worked with the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta to develop a concentrator device-basically, a special roof over the parked C-MAX-that intensifies the effect of sunlight on the cells by a factor of eight.
The concentrator is a Fresnel lens, a prism-like optics design that was originally developed to increase the intensity of beams emanating from lighthouses.
More recently, it`s been used for increasing the efficiency of solar energy technology.
The Ford C-MAX Solar Energi Concept will move back and forth autonomously under the concentrator to track the sun and maximize energy collection.
The concentrator is stationary, but the C-MAX Solar Energi will be able to move back and forth a short distance to track the sun for optimal solar gain.
Ford says that the concentrator can provide a daily dose of solar energy equal to four hours, or 8 kilowatts, of battery charge.
The car will also have a plug-in port for charging from an electrical source, should the sun not oblige.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- His LS constituency flooded, PM Modi deputes MP for help
- Cricket reforms: BCCI submits Compliance Report to Supreme Court-appointed Justice RM Lodha panel
- Hours-long attack on Kabul American university kills sixteen
- Day/Night Duleep Trophy: Kuldeep's Yadav guile puts India Red in driver's seat
- How does smoke effect clouds in terms of climate? NASA flies to Africa to find out!