Now, steering wheel that guides drivers blinded by Sun
London: Researchers, for the first time, have designed a vibrating steering wheel that tells drivers where to steer when undipped headlights and other visual impediments leave them temporarily blinded.
Eelke Folmer and Burkay Sucu from the University of Reno in Nevada, developed the steering wheel to help cut the accident toll caused by glare, especially in winters, when motorists are most likely to be dazzled by low Sun and reflections from snow and ice.
Cars with vibrating seats can already warn drivers when another vehicle is approaching in their blind spot. However, the team`s design is the only one to help drivers steer using tactile cues, the `New Scientist` reported.
The system relies on car sensors like Global Positioning System (GPS) and lane-keeping cameras to map the road ahead and work out where the vehicle is.
When sensors detect the driver may be dazzled and drifting from their lane, the vibro-tactile system buzzes into action.
The vibrations are tuned to 275 hertz, the frequency that our skin is most sensitive to. And the cues are directional, so if a driver drifts left, the left side of the wheel will vibrate - a signal to steer right until it stops vibrating, just like a rumble strip.
"It`s fairly easy for the system to anticipate or sense glare conditions and activate itself," said Folmer.
The system worked well in tests with 12 volunteers in a simulator, but the drivers` hands strayed from the left and right vibrators.
It`s promising work, says Paul Newman, who is developing a driver-less car at the University of Oxford.
"Touch is an extraordinarily rich sensory pathway and is an ideal way to provide safety-improving hints. In this case, the hints are felt at the very place action is required - on the steering wheel itself," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video