Now, WorldKit technology that transforms everything into touchscreens
Washington: A latest experimental technology system, called WorldKit reportedly turns any surface into a touchscreen by pairing a depth-sensing camera lens with a projector lens.
According to Fox News, WorldKit`s aim is to transform all of the surroundings into touchscreens, equipping walls, tables, and couches with interactive and intuitive controls.
Chris Harrison, a soon-to-be professor in human-computer interaction at Carnegie Mellon University and Robert Xiao, a PhD candidate at Carnegie Mellon and lead researcher have together come up with the latest innovation.
Harrison said that it is an interesting space of having projected interfaces on the environment, using the whole world as a sort of gigantic tablet.
Xiao said that the technology allows users to select a surface and `paint` an interactive object on it like a `button` or a `sensor` after which the selected area is used to display a chosen interface, such as a menu bar or a sliding lighting-control dial, which can then be manipulated through touch gestures.
The report said that WorldKit`s depth sensor is connected to a projector that is mounted to a ceiling or a tripod and its major drawback is its big size.
Xiao and Harrison are positive of exploiting the technology for use in the mobile market in near future and are also envisioning ambitious applications for the technology like experimental interior design which could also be included in gaming potential.
Explaining the contrast between WorldKit and Google`s wearable Glass, Xiao said that WorldKit is at an advantage as all the interactions are out in the world and one is thus interacting with something very real and very tangible, unlike Glass which allows only virtual seeing and not touching, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing