Now, WorldKit technology that transforms everything into touchscreens
Washington: A latest experimental technology system, called WorldKit reportedly turns any surface into a touchscreen by pairing a depth-sensing camera lens with a projector lens.
According to Fox News, WorldKit`s aim is to transform all of the surroundings into touchscreens, equipping walls, tables, and couches with interactive and intuitive controls.
Chris Harrison, a soon-to-be professor in human-computer interaction at Carnegie Mellon University and Robert Xiao, a PhD candidate at Carnegie Mellon and lead researcher have together come up with the latest innovation.
Harrison said that it is an interesting space of having projected interfaces on the environment, using the whole world as a sort of gigantic tablet.
Xiao said that the technology allows users to select a surface and `paint` an interactive object on it like a `button` or a `sensor` after which the selected area is used to display a chosen interface, such as a menu bar or a sliding lighting-control dial, which can then be manipulated through touch gestures.
The report said that WorldKit`s depth sensor is connected to a projector that is mounted to a ceiling or a tripod and its major drawback is its big size.
Xiao and Harrison are positive of exploiting the technology for use in the mobile market in near future and are also envisioning ambitious applications for the technology like experimental interior design which could also be included in gaming potential.
Explaining the contrast between WorldKit and Google`s wearable Glass, Xiao said that WorldKit is at an advantage as all the interactions are out in the world and one is thus interacting with something very real and very tangible, unlike Glass which allows only virtual seeing and not touching, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report