NZ scientists find egg of bird presumed extinct
Melbourne: Scientists in New Zealand have found for the first time an egg of an endangered bird that was presumed extinct for more than a century.
Researchers studying the New Zealand storm petrel on Little Barrier Island in the Hauraki Gulf Marine Park are the first scientists to find a storm petrel egg.
New Zealand storm petrels were presumed extinct then rediscovered in 2003, more than a century after the last sighting.
In February last year the birds were successfully tracked to breeding sites on Hauturu.
"The egg was found on the same day that a kakapo was found incubating eggs. This tale of two nests is a remarkable and joyful coincidence and further highlights Hauturu Little Barrier`s role as New Zealand`s premier nature reserve," said Warren Gibb, chairman of the Hauturu Little Barrier Island Supporters Trust.
The New Zealand storm petrel project scientists took the opportunity when the female was off the nest to check the egg was fertile and record data.
"It was exciting to see the egg of a bird once thought to be extinct," said Graeme Taylor, Department of Conservation (DOC) Principal Science Advisor leading the team.
"Measuring a mere 31mm X 23mm, the egg is white with a fine dusting of pink spots concentrated at one end," said Taylor.
"The fact it has taken until 2014 for scientists to observe one of these tiny eggs reflects how much we still don`t know about New Zealand`s natural environment and particularly for marine species," said Taylor.
The NZ storm petrel team, also involving Chris Gaskin, Dr Matt Rayner and Alan Tennyson, expect the egg to hatch in early April.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt