Oceans pivotal in sustaining alien life: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Oceans are vital in moderating climate on Earth-like planets, thus sustaining alien life as revealed by a recent report by researchers from University of East Anglia.
Until now the computer simulations of habitable climates on Earth-like planets have focused on their atmospheres, but the presence of oceans is vital for optimal climate stability and habitability.
The research team first created a computer simulated pattern of ocean circulation on a hypothetical ocean-covered Earth-like planet and looked at how different planetary rotation rates would impact heat transport with the presence of oceans taken into account.
David Stevens from UEA`s school of Mathematics said that the number of planets being discovered outside our solar system is rapidly increasing and this research will help answer whether or not these planets could sustain alien life.
Stevens added that oceans have an immense capacity to control climate and are beneficial because they cause the surface temperature to respond very slowly to seasonal changes in solar heating and also help ensure that temperature swings across a planet are kept to tolerable levels.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Christians should ask gay community for forgiveness for past treatment: Pope Francis
- Can you SPOT Aamir Khan in this picture? SEE inside
- 7th Pay Commission: Non-performing govt employees to not get annual increment
- Tri-Nation series final: Mitchell Marsh, Josh Hazlewood guide Australia to 58-run win over West Indies
- History on line as Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer get Wimbledon under way