Oceans pivotal in sustaining alien life: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Oceans are vital in moderating climate on Earth-like planets, thus sustaining alien life as revealed by a recent report by researchers from University of East Anglia.
Until now the computer simulations of habitable climates on Earth-like planets have focused on their atmospheres, but the presence of oceans is vital for optimal climate stability and habitability.
The research team first created a computer simulated pattern of ocean circulation on a hypothetical ocean-covered Earth-like planet and looked at how different planetary rotation rates would impact heat transport with the presence of oceans taken into account.
David Stevens from UEA`s school of Mathematics said that the number of planets being discovered outside our solar system is rapidly increasing and this research will help answer whether or not these planets could sustain alien life.
Stevens added that oceans have an immense capacity to control climate and are beneficial because they cause the surface temperature to respond very slowly to seasonal changes in solar heating and also help ensure that temperature swings across a planet are kept to tolerable levels.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- New protein gives new hope for Alzheimer's cure!
- Android users can now enjoy Prisma app!
- Another setback! Case filed against AAP workers for preventing emergency vehicle's movement
- WATCH: UNPLAYABLE! Have you seen this 'T20 ball of the century' by R Ashwin?
- Flood alert: Situation remains grim in Assam, Arunachal, railways affected in Bihar