Oceans pivotal in sustaining alien life: Study
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Oceans are vital in moderating climate on Earth-like planets, thus sustaining alien life as revealed by a recent report by researchers from University of East Anglia.
Until now the computer simulations of habitable climates on Earth-like planets have focused on their atmospheres, but the presence of oceans is vital for optimal climate stability and habitability.
The research team first created a computer simulated pattern of ocean circulation on a hypothetical ocean-covered Earth-like planet and looked at how different planetary rotation rates would impact heat transport with the presence of oceans taken into account.
David Stevens from UEA`s school of Mathematics said that the number of planets being discovered outside our solar system is rapidly increasing and this research will help answer whether or not these planets could sustain alien life.
Stevens added that oceans have an immense capacity to control climate and are beneficial because they cause the surface temperature to respond very slowly to seasonal changes in solar heating and also help ensure that temperature swings across a planet are kept to tolerable levels.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games
- DNA: Analyzing the reasons behind India's poor performance in Olympic games Part-II
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children
- DNA: Analyzing the overburdened of heavy schoolbags on children Part II
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- Juergen Klopp disappointed as Liverpool haunted by familiar failings
- Know how much you have to exactly pay for cancelling confirmed Rail e-tickets
- India pivotal power, can tilt Asia the way it wants: MJ Akbar
- Jat association AIJASS warns of fresh agitation
- Indian cargo ship heading for Yemen sinks off Oman: Reports