Oetzi the Iceman had gum disease!
London: Oetzi the Iceman, Europe`s oldest known natural mummy of a man who lived around 3,300 BCE, indeed suffered from periodontitis, examination of its non-human DNA confirmed.
This finding supports the computer tomography based diagnosis that the Iceman suffered from periodontitis, a set of inflammatory diseases affecting the tissues that surround and support the teeth.
Much of what we know about Oetzi - for example what he looked like or that he suffered from lactose intolerance - stems from a tiny bone sample which allowed the decoding of his genetic make-up.
Now, however, a team of scientists has examined more closely the part of the sample consisting of non-human DNA.
"This `non-human` DNA mostly derives from bacteria normally living on and within our body," said Thomas Rattei, professor of bioinformatics at University of Vienna in Austria.
Only the interplay between certain bacteria or an imbalance within this bacterial community might cause certain diseases. Therefore, it is highly important to reconstruct and understand the bacterial community composition by analysing this DNA mixture, Rattei noted.
The researchers detected in the DNA mixture a sizeable presence of a particular bacterium - Treponema denticola, an opportunistic pathogen involved in the development of periodontitis.
What is surprising is that the analysis of a tiny bone sample can still, after 5,300 years, provide the information that this opportunistic pathogen seems to have been distributed via the bloodstream from the mouth to the hip bone.
The bacteria did not colonise the body after death, the scientists indicated.
The findings appeared in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22