Oetzi the Iceman had gum disease!
London: Oetzi the Iceman, Europe`s oldest known natural mummy of a man who lived around 3,300 BCE, indeed suffered from periodontitis, examination of its non-human DNA confirmed.
This finding supports the computer tomography based diagnosis that the Iceman suffered from periodontitis, a set of inflammatory diseases affecting the tissues that surround and support the teeth.
Much of what we know about Oetzi - for example what he looked like or that he suffered from lactose intolerance - stems from a tiny bone sample which allowed the decoding of his genetic make-up.
Now, however, a team of scientists has examined more closely the part of the sample consisting of non-human DNA.
"This `non-human` DNA mostly derives from bacteria normally living on and within our body," said Thomas Rattei, professor of bioinformatics at University of Vienna in Austria.
Only the interplay between certain bacteria or an imbalance within this bacterial community might cause certain diseases. Therefore, it is highly important to reconstruct and understand the bacterial community composition by analysing this DNA mixture, Rattei noted.
The researchers detected in the DNA mixture a sizeable presence of a particular bacterium - Treponema denticola, an opportunistic pathogen involved in the development of periodontitis.
What is surprising is that the analysis of a tiny bone sample can still, after 5,300 years, provide the information that this opportunistic pathogen seems to have been distributed via the bloodstream from the mouth to the hip bone.
The bacteria did not colonise the body after death, the scientists indicated.
The findings appeared in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore