Oldest land predators` Dimetrodon killed prey with `steak-knife` teeth
Washington: Researchers have found that Dimetrodon, a carnivore that walked on land between 298 million and 272 million years ago, was a meat lover and had the first known serrated "steak knife" teeth.
Lead author Kirstin Brink along with Professor Robert Reisz from University of Toronto Mississauga`s Department of Biology suggested that Dimetrodon was the first terrestrial vertebrate to develop serrated ziphodont teeth.
According to the study, ziphodont teeth, with their serrated edges, produced a more-efficient bite and would have allowed Dimetrodon to eat prey much larger than itself.
While most meat-eating dinosaurs possessed ziphodont teeth, fossil evidence suggested serrated teeth first evolved in Dimetrodon some 40 million years earlier than theropod dinosaurs.
According to Brink and Reisz`s research, Dimetrodon had a diversity of previously unknown tooth structures and were also the first terrestrial vertebrate to develop cusps - teeth with raised points on the crown, which are dominant in mammals.
The study also suggests ziphodont teeth were confined to later species of Dimetrodon, indicating a gradual change in feeding habits.
The study was published in the journal Nature Communications.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why