One in three victims of Target card breach could face fraud: Survey
Washington: About one in three victims of data breach, like Target Corp`s mega exploit last December, could face fraud, a new survey has revealed.
Javelin Research polled 5,634 US adults over three weeks last October about financial fraud incidents and found that correlation between a fraud victim and a breach victim gets stronger every year.
According to PC World, Target`s credit card mega breach as a result of bugged point-of-sales (PoS) systems exposed personal and financial information of about 110 million customers.
Al Pascual, senior analyst for security risk and fraud, who co-authored the report, said that those details are less likely to result in fraud because cybercriminals are intensely focused these days on payment card details, which are easier to monetize.
However, banks and card issuers replace cards used fraudulently, but they frequently opt not to reissue cards when not used by criminals, since it is expensive and is inconvenient for their customers.
Javelin said that the cost of fraud caused by criminals abusing payment cards and other accounts, such as checking, savings and loan accounts, jumped by 36 percent to 16 billion dollars, up from 11 billion dollars in 2012, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3