Oxygen appeared on Earth much earlier than thought
Washington: A new study suggests that oxygen appeared in the atmosphere up to 700 million years earlier than it was earlier believed, raising new questions about the evolution of early life.
Researchers from the University of Copenhagen and University of British Columbia examined the chemical composition of three-billion-year-old soils from South Africa - the oldest soils on Earth - and found evidence for low concentrations of atmospheric oxygen.
Previous research indicated that oxygen began accumulating in the atmosphere only about 2.3 billion years ago during a dynamic period in Earth`s history referred to as the Great Oxygenation Event.
"We`ve always known that oxygen production by photosynthesis led to the eventual oxygenation of the atmosphere and the evolution of aerobic life," Sean Crowe, co-lead author of the study and an assistant professor in the Departments of Microbiology and Immunology, and Earth, Ocean and Atmospheric Sciences at UBC, said.
"This study now suggests that the process began very early in Earth`s history, supporting a much greater antiquity for oxygen producing photosynthesis and aerobic life," Crowe, who conducted the research while a post-doctoral fellow at Nordic Center for Earth Evolution at the University of Southern Denmark in partnership with the centre`s director Donald Canfield, said.
There was no oxygen in the atmosphere for at least hundreds of millions of years after the Earth formed.
Today, the Earth`s atmosphere is 20 percent oxygen thanks to photosynthetic bacteria that, like trees and other plants, consume carbon dioxide and release oxygen.
The bacteria laid the foundation for oxygen breathing organisms to evolve and inhabit the planet.
The study is published in the journal Nature.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past