Paleontologists find rare fossilised feces of dinosaurs in Narmada Valley
Zee Media Bureau
Indore: Paleontologists have discovered rare fossilised feces of dinosaurs, thought to be about six crore-year-old, in the Narmada valley in Madhya Pradesh.
Experts believe that the find might unravel some facts about the food habits and the digestive system of this extinct animal.
“We have recently found fossilised feces of dinosaurs along with its bones during excavation in Umarban area near famous tourist spot Mandu in Dhar district. These fossils are about six crore years old,” paleontologist Vishal Verma, who has been working in the Narmada valley for last two decades, was quoted as saying to PTI.
According to Verma, while bones and eggs of dinosaurs have been discovered in the Narmada valley earlier, this is the first time that its fossilised feces have been found in this geographical region.
The fossilised feces are scientifically termed as `coprolite`, he said, adding that as per estimates, the fossilised feces discovered in the area are of the last generation of this extinct animal in India.
“This was the last generation of the dinosaurs, which, while battling the adverse geographical changes, was able to survive for a long time. The severe volcanic explosions which occurred around six crore years back had led to the extinction of the last generation of dinosaurs in India,” Verma said.
The fossilised feces will be preserved in the National Dinosaur Fossil Park, situated in Bagh area of Dhar district.
The discovery has been hailed by noted paleontologist Ashok Sahni, who has been helping the Madhya Pradesh government in the setting up of this park.
He said the find is of great significance at the global level for paleontological study.
The Pisdura village in Maharashtra has already attracted the attention of scientists the world over for the discovery of a large quantity of fossilised feces of dinosaurs in that area, added Sahni.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?