Paleontologists find rare fossilised feces of dinosaurs in Narmada Valley
Zee Media Bureau
Indore: Paleontologists have discovered rare fossilised feces of dinosaurs, thought to be about six crore-year-old, in the Narmada valley in Madhya Pradesh.
Experts believe that the find might unravel some facts about the food habits and the digestive system of this extinct animal.
“We have recently found fossilised feces of dinosaurs along with its bones during excavation in Umarban area near famous tourist spot Mandu in Dhar district. These fossils are about six crore years old,” paleontologist Vishal Verma, who has been working in the Narmada valley for last two decades, was quoted as saying to PTI.
According to Verma, while bones and eggs of dinosaurs have been discovered in the Narmada valley earlier, this is the first time that its fossilised feces have been found in this geographical region.
The fossilised feces are scientifically termed as `coprolite`, he said, adding that as per estimates, the fossilised feces discovered in the area are of the last generation of this extinct animal in India.
“This was the last generation of the dinosaurs, which, while battling the adverse geographical changes, was able to survive for a long time. The severe volcanic explosions which occurred around six crore years back had led to the extinction of the last generation of dinosaurs in India,” Verma said.
The fossilised feces will be preserved in the National Dinosaur Fossil Park, situated in Bagh area of Dhar district.
The discovery has been hailed by noted paleontologist Ashok Sahni, who has been helping the Madhya Pradesh government in the setting up of this park.
He said the find is of great significance at the global level for paleontological study.
The Pisdura village in Maharashtra has already attracted the attention of scientists the world over for the discovery of a large quantity of fossilised feces of dinosaurs in that area, added Sahni.
(With Agency Inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?