Parasites created to fight caterpillars
Mangalore: The Department of Horticulture here has developed a parasite in its laboratory at nearby Thumbe to fight the menace caused by caterpillars, a senior official said.
The parasite called `Goniozus Nephantidis` is widely used by the department in various other districts to fight the growing threat of black-headed hairy caterpillars on coconut palms.
The parasite is being introduced here to fight the menace caused by caterpillars, Deputy Director of Horticulture, Dakshina Kannada, Yogesh H R, said in a statement here.
Though the infection did not destroy the trees, the yield from the trees was severely affected, he said.
Ten to 20 of the parasites which would be left at the bottom of a tree would climb up in search of caterpillars, eat them and move on to the next tree.
The department would take steps to develop nine lakh parasites at an estimated cost of Rs 2.5 lakh at its laboratory in the current financial year.
The parasites now developed would be given to farmers free of cost, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what