Passport officers no better at spotting fake photos
Melbourne: Passport issuing officers are as bad at spotting a fake passport photo as an average person, says a study.
Security measures would be enhanced if passports carried a multitude of images of a person, said the study, indicating that your passport may soon have to make space for more of your photos than just one.
"While it might have been expected that years of training and experience would have improved passport officer performance, our study showed this was not the case," said lead author David White from University of New South Wales in Australia.
"Passport officers were no more accurate than university students," White added.
The Australia-based study can have implications for other countries as well.
"This level of human error in Australian passport office staff really is quite striking, and it would be reasonable to expect a similar level of performance at UK passport control," co-researcher Rob Jenkins from University of York in Britain noted.
In one test, passport officers had to decide whether or not a photograph of an individual presented on their computer screen matched the face of a person standing in front of their desk.
It was found that on 15 percent of trials the officers decided that the photograph on their screen matched the face of the person standing in front of them, when in fact, the photograph showed an entirely different person.
In a second test, the passport officers were asked to match current face photos to images taken two years ago or to genuine photo-ID documents including passports and driving licenses.
Error rates on this task rose to 20 percent - a level of performance that was no different to a group of untrained student volunteers who were also tested.
The findings appeared in the journal PLOS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside