Pentagon-backed `bat drone` ready for deployment
Wellington: A new Pentagon-backed autonomous "bat drone", that can use a long claw to pluck objects off of the ground, is ready for deployment.
Earlier this week, California drone developer MLB Company announced that it had completed a project, funded by DARPA (Defence Advanced Research Projects Agency), to develop a specialised V-Bat unmanned aircraft.
The drone, having high-resolution cameras and laser sensors, is designed to be used for everything from urban surveillance to wildlife monitoring.
It can take off vertically and hover steadily, and it can also fly like a normal winged aircraft at heights of up to 15,000 feet for 10 hours at a time.
The V-Bat is able to fly pre-programmed missions using GPS navigation and the DARPA version can search for objects on the ground, which it can pick up with a 6-foot extending claw.
Last year, DARPA said in a press release that the V-Bat technology paves the way for precise long-range delivery of small payloads into difficult-to-reach environments.
But the V-Bat isn`t only intended for military applications. MLB is selling the drones for about 320,000 USD each and is marketing them for a host of purposes -like agricultural mapping and border patrol.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested