Peter Higgs to receive Freedom of Edinburgh
Zee Media Bureau
Edinburgh: Professor Peter Higgs will be given the Freedom of Edinburgh for his contribution to science.
Professor Higgs, a long-time resident of the Scottish capital, is this year’s recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics. He predicted the existence of a new particle, the Higgs Boson or the God Particle, which was tentatively confirmed to exist on 14 March 2013 by CERN.
The other living people who have received the freedom of the city are Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Sean Connery, Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi and Sir Chris Hoy
He will join the list of recipients including Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Sean Connery, Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi and Sir Chris Hoy in receiving this honour.
"I think it is absolutely right that we, the people of Edinburgh, recognise his immense contribution to science”, Lord Provost Donald Wilson said."His achievements with the University of Edinburgh are of global significance and this latest honour will be further evidence of the high esteem in which he is quite deservedly held, not just by his peers but by the people of the city he now calls home."
Prof Higgs said: "I am extremely pleased to be offered the Freedom of the City of Edinburgh - the city that I have grown to love and has been my adopted home for almost all of my working life."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone