Peter Higgs to receive Freedom of Edinburgh
Zee Media Bureau
Edinburgh: Professor Peter Higgs will be given the Freedom of Edinburgh for his contribution to science.
Professor Higgs, a long-time resident of the Scottish capital, is this year’s recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics. He predicted the existence of a new particle, the Higgs Boson or the God Particle, which was tentatively confirmed to exist on 14 March 2013 by CERN.
The other living people who have received the freedom of the city are Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Sean Connery, Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi and Sir Chris Hoy
He will join the list of recipients including Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Sean Connery, Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi and Sir Chris Hoy in receiving this honour.
"I think it is absolutely right that we, the people of Edinburgh, recognise his immense contribution to science”, Lord Provost Donald Wilson said."His achievements with the University of Edinburgh are of global significance and this latest honour will be further evidence of the high esteem in which he is quite deservedly held, not just by his peers but by the people of the city he now calls home."
Prof Higgs said: "I am extremely pleased to be offered the Freedom of the City of Edinburgh - the city that I have grown to love and has been my adopted home for almost all of my working life."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price