Physicist Ashoke Sen gets MP Birla Award
Allahabad: Leading physicist Ashoke Sen was Thursday conferred the MP Birla Golden Jubilee Award for 2013, for his pioneering fundamental research in string theory.
Sen, a world-renowned professor of the city-based Harish Chandra Research Institute, was handed over the award by S.K. Daga, trustee and secretary, managing committee, of the M.P. Birla Institute of Fundamental Research at the Anand Kanan (Birla House), Jhansi.
The award includes a trophy, citation, and a cheque of Rs.251,000, M.P. Birla Planetarium director (research & academics) Debiprosad Duari said in a statement.
The award is given once in every two years to the country`s leading scientists working in the field of astronomy, space science and allied subjects by the M.P. Birla planetarium, Kolkata, in memory of late Madhav Prasad Birla.
Instituted in 1993, the earlier recipients of the award include leading scientists like J.V. Narlikar, Kasturirangan, Madhavan Nair and A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune