Plants choose growth over defence
London: What do plants decide when faced with a major dilemma - to grow or to defend?
As plants look at channelising their energies, they choose growth over defence against pathogens.
“A key protein, BZR1, is responsible for rapidly tipping the balance in favour of growth and ignoring pathogen attack when it is a matter of life and death. This is the case when a seed germinates in the soil, for example,” said professor Cyril Zipfel from The Sainsbury Laboratory (TSL) located on the Norwich Research Park (NRP) in Britain.
Plants use steroid hormones to choose growth over defence when their survival depends on it. These findings could be used in breeding crops that combine size with pathogen resistance, Zipfel added.
"Knowing how this is controlled, adds a powerful tool in our ability to breed disease resistant plants with maximum yield," said the study published in the scientific journal eLife.
“Light is essential for plant`s survival and the number one priority for a seedling is to reach sunlight. Investing limited resources in fighting back a pathogen could have lethal consequences,” concluded Rosa Lozano-Durán, first author of the study from TSL.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know