Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates 37th Indian Social Science Congress
Zee Media Bureau
Aligarh: President Pranab Mukherjee said that our relations with nature should be guided by the principles of reciprocity, limitation, cooperation and sustainability.
Addressing the inaugural function of the 37th Indian Social Science Congress at the Aligarh Muslim University here today, the President said that it is important that our country grows in harmony with nature.
"We need to change agricultural and industrial practices in order to reduce the toxicity in food, water and environment. Conservation of bio-diversity and natural resources merits a serious consideration," Mukherjee said.
The President pointed out that food and energy security and sustainable use of scarce natural resources will constitute important constituents of our strategy for sustainable development.
He also stated that climate change is a threat, but also a unique opportunity to work together.
"As a developing country on the frontlines of climate vulnerability, India has a vital stake in the evolution of a successful, rule-based, equitable and multilateral response to climate change," Mukherjee said.
The President was speaking on theme `Building an Ecologically Sustainable Society`.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials