Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates 37th Indian Social Science Congress
Zee Media Bureau
Aligarh: President Pranab Mukherjee said that our relations with nature should be guided by the principles of reciprocity, limitation, cooperation and sustainability.
Addressing the inaugural function of the 37th Indian Social Science Congress at the Aligarh Muslim University here today, the President said that it is important that our country grows in harmony with nature.
"We need to change agricultural and industrial practices in order to reduce the toxicity in food, water and environment. Conservation of bio-diversity and natural resources merits a serious consideration," Mukherjee said.
The President pointed out that food and energy security and sustainable use of scarce natural resources will constitute important constituents of our strategy for sustainable development.
He also stated that climate change is a threat, but also a unique opportunity to work together.
"As a developing country on the frontlines of climate vulnerability, India has a vital stake in the evolution of a successful, rule-based, equitable and multilateral response to climate change," Mukherjee said.
The President was speaking on theme `Building an Ecologically Sustainable Society`.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly