Prehistoric animal horn found in Siberia
Moscow: A horn fragment of a buffalo or perhaps another unknown prehistoric animal that died 18,000 years ago has been found in Russia`s south Siberian region, officials said.
It was discovered a few days ago in a sand and gravel pit in Maimin district of Gorny Altai region.
Experts believe the prehistoric animal could have been killed by a huge flood about 18,000 years ago, when a large lake in the Chui Steppe overflowed its banks.
"That caused the most massive flood in history, with water moving at a speed of 160 km an hour and covering earth with 490 metres of water," the government said in a report.
After a thorough examination, the discovery will be handed over to a museum.
Remains of extinct animals have previously been found in Altai. In the fall of 2012, mammoth tusks were discovered near the village of Maima, at a depth of over 10 metres. Mammoths died out about 10,000 years ago during the last ice age.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!