Prof CNR Rao 1st Indian in Chinese Academy of Science
Bangalore: Eminent Scientist and Bharat Ratna awardee Prof C N R Rao has become the first Indian scientist to be elected as honorary foreign member of Chinese Academy of Science (CAS).
"Prof Rao is the first Indian Scientist to be elected to this prestigious academy, which consists of several Nobel laureates and eminent scientists of the world," Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, of which Rao is a founder and honorary President, said.
Stating that Rao, awarded the Bharat Ratna last week, was elected by CAS at its General Assembly held on November 4, the Centre said in a release that the academy had bestowed on him the prestigious Award for International Scientific Cooperation in January 2012.
It said Rao has been elected to almost all scientific academies of the world including The Royal Society-London, National Academy of Science- USA, Pontifical Academy of Science, Japan Academy and Royal Spanish Academy of Sciences, among others.
He has also been conferred 60 Honoris Causa (Honorary Doctorates) by various universities across the globe, it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out